Friday, February 18, 2005

What happened to the toilets?

Jessica K.
Oh wow...each day is an adventure. On Wed we devoted the day to learning about the genocide. I know you guys have prob been reading a lot about that. My grandfather kept trying to explain everything to me. It just doesn't sink and though, why does this happen? Walking through a torture chamber, stepping on bones.
The last two days have been a little uh...happier? We're back to the present. Yesterday I had my first "hole in the ground" bathroom experience; since yesterday I have become an expert. There are no garbages here and for someone who usually is environmentally aware of issues, it's hard to accept.

We arrived at our hotel. I knew that it was not going to be the very best. Somehow, I didn't care. I guess it hit me when I was bringing my suitcase to the bus. A begger was staring at me. I realized that my suitcase probably has more possesions than he has all together. Just that thought made my fortunate.
Today, we went to the "wild west." The trees were so cover in dirt that you could barely make out their color. Dust was everywhere. We visited the survivors who are now working. These survivors have gotten support from us. One man had not crutches but a bamboo stick to walk with. Another man used the back of a man as his mode of transportation.
Yes, dear friends, my power bars and fruit leathers are awfully yummy in the tummy.'
We went to a mechanics shop in which we were bombarded by children. They stared, but we all have gotten used to the fact that we don't fit in. The children were eager and not ashamed to practice their english. They were excited to learn my name. One boy, who had the face of a guy my age but the body of a 10 year-old tapped my shoulder and said with another girl, "You look very beautiful today." They're the beautiful ones, and I wish to just take one home.
We went to another village where I battled against the heat. These kids may have not seen Westerners before. They liked to stare and say hello. I played catch with three boys. It's amazing how much you can don't speak the same language.
I've changed a lot. This trip is overwhelming to say the least, but I seem to be dealing with it. I should be able to get in contact and at least do some of my homework in the next few days. With that, it's dinner time for us, and school time for you guys. Have a great break!

5 comments:

  1. Hey Jess
    Where Are the toliets?? You know about my experience with them haha
    Em

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jessica,
    I've gotten your e-mails and have been reading your entries and looking at your pictures. I know it has been all pretty amazing for you. Can't wait to see you next Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HEY JESS!!
    Wow, you are such a brave and great person for going on this trip! School was just not the same this week with out you! Your amazing and we all miss you!!!!!
    -Gillian

    ReplyDelete
  4. aw. i miss you jessicaa. and ben!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jess,
    Just think: a good percentage of people around the globe use pit toilets and have no running water!
    I'm so glad you've gotten to do this experience. It has, I'm sure, changed your life for the better.
    Mr. Whitehead

    ReplyDelete