Saturday, February 12, 2005

Scooter Culture

Scooters, or motos, are by far the most common form of transportation here in Phnom Penh. Certainly, I prefer them. But it is, obviously, economics over a desire for the open air that drives the Cambodian's choice.

As a westerner, I am approached by moto-taxi drivers constantly... to the point of annoyance, frankly. But I recently vowed, when possible, to respond politely. If I can pretend that I have not heard, that is prefered, but when eye contact is made, or the moto driver is right in my face, each time I am trying to be polite... it can be hard, as it really is a relentless assault at times... and I get asked a hundred times a day, easily, as most westerners do.

So here is a short example my usual walk down the street in front of my hotel.

Moto Driver One: Moto, Sir?
Me: Good morning! No, thank you.

Directly next him another driver
Moto Driver Two: Moto, sir?
Me: Still, no, but thank you.

Moto driver five feet from him:
Moto Driver Three: Moto sir, to the Killing Fields?
Me: Oh, sounds lovely! But no, thank you.

I will try to continue this exersize as long as I can... I prefer it to ignoring someone just trying to ply his trade... and they are all men, come to think of it... I have never seen a woman moto taxi driver.... that would certainly be preferable... they would do well, but I imagine the roaming hands of sweaty tourists (just hanging on) can be a strong deterrent.

As I said above, the moto is the preferred form of transportation. Entire families are often squeezed on to one moto. It is such an intimate form of transit and I find it so sweet to see. A toddler squeezed in between mom and dad while out for a drive to the market, and probably grandma holding on to the back. Brothers and sisters embracing for as long as their trip may last.

The other night families were out in force celebrating Chinese New Year. Most motos were so burdened by their weight that exhaust pipes were hitting the pavement with regularity.

Photos follow in the "More..." link.



1 comment:

  1. Well you were much more polite than I was. Even if they were 2 feet from me, I would just politely ignore the 'Honda om' drivers in Viet Nam. Being a tall fair-skinned woman, I would gander to say that I got more "Moto, Madame?" pleas than others. I think I only rode in a cyclo once, because I, too, much prefer riding on a moto to get from place to place in a big city. The wind in your hair, the grit in your mouth and eyes, the pollution in your nose, ahh.... the memories.

    ReplyDelete