Monday, February 7, 2005

Phnom Penh: A Chrome Horse and a Diplomat

I just arrived in Phnom Penh, Cambodia last night to a warm welcome from my good friend Sarath from Cambodian Volunteers for Community Development (CVCD). CVCD is our implementing partner for landmine survivor vocational skills training in rural Cambodia.

It is unbelievable to me, but in my 15 dollar a night room I have high speed wireless access. What a luxury. I could sleep in a cyclo and be happy if it had wireless access.... not to mention that by using Yahoo Messenger I can make internet phone calls to the US for 10 cents a minute!!

The same moto driver that drove me around for a few days last year recognized me on the street yesterday... and still knew my name! So he is my "driver" again. In Phnom Penh as in Vietnam "moto taxi" is a great way to get around... on a hot day it is hard to beat. It is not unusual to see whole families on one scooter.... today I saw a woman riding sidesaddle and breastfeeding her baby while her other child sat between her and her husband (I assume) who was driving. I imagine parents doing that in the United States would be pelted with rocks and garbage.

I was fortunate today to meet with Cambodia's former Ambassador to the United States, and my good friend, Roland Eng. Mr. Eng is now running a non-profit called the Sobbhana Women's Foundation. They produce high quality traditional Khmer crafts and sell them in a storefront in Phnom Penh and via export to the US. With the profits, they fund medical outreach to the most rural of Cambodians. They will soon have a website here.

Tonight Sarath and I will meet with Bruce Shoemaker and the board of the McKnight Foundation at a restaurant here in Phnom Penh. McKnight has been funding CPI and CVCD's partnership.

A quick thank you to Stuart Hughes for a whole bunch of hits after posting a link to us... thanks Stu!




No comments:

Post a Comment