Saturday, February 19, 2005

Ben's 2nd, Less Philosophical Blog

Posted by Ben

On Friday, after spending the night in a hotel that was supposed to be very rundown but was actually quite satisfactory, we traveld by boat to the town of Streung Treung in Kampong Cham province. Here we had the chance to visit the CPI vocational training center, a program to which we had donated $11,000, approximately twenty-five percent of the funding. We observed a sewing, an electronics, and a mechanics class, and met with one of the beneficiaries of the program who lived about one hour outside of town. (NOTE: this part of the excursion was quite uncomfortable, as the road was very dusty and bumpy and our bus was very cramped. However, it gave us the opportunity to experience the rural heart of Cambodia.)

It was very meaningful to see the work we had done in action right before our eyes. One could tell how appreciative the students were and how much progress they were making. It reassured all of us that we truly are making a difference in the world. I realized that it must not have been easy for the students to take the iniative to take part in the program; many would rather mope in dealing with such a traumatic event. These brave men and women are not only doing a great deal to help themselves in becoming more self-sufficient, but they are doing a tremendous service to their families, their communities, and ultimately, their countries. This is something that takes great courage and responsibility, and the students we met that day are the ones who are moving this country forward. I am extraordinarily proud of the students we met that day, and am eternally grateful for the progress being made by Clear Path and other NGOs.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Ben and Emily,
    You and Dad have been gone a week having what seems to be an incredible adventure. Reading your blogs highlights to me what amazing, mature, compassionate, humanitarians you truely are. I love you and miss you.
    Mom
    P.S. I guess it took you guys traveling halfway around the world for me to learn to use the internet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ben: I laughed at the title of this blog - your 1st one was so mature & I couldn't imagine any of my students ever writing something so thought-provoking.
    It must be really cool to see your fundraising efforts in action.
    Love to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mommy
    I'm so proud you figured out the internet!!!
    Read my new blog. O yeah i forgot Tommorows My BirthDay!!!! I'll miss you
    Talk to you in the morning
    Love you and miss you
    Em

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I go to TMS also and I just wanted to say that I hope you guys are having an...um...interesting time in Cambodia. What you guys are doing is really great, and all those Cambodian kids are happy to see you.
    Sincerely,
    Ilana

    ReplyDelete