Saturday, February 19, 2005

A Chance Meeting

Posted by Michael

The night before last our delegation left for an internet cafe blogging session and I chose to remain behind for a little alone time. I crossed the street with the intention of smoking my cigar, having a beer, and reflecting on some of what we mike2.jpghad experienced, to date. But in Cambodia you rarely get what you set out for. As I crossed the street I found my beer in matter of seconds and also found three very intriging fellows who wanted to engage me in converstion. They spoke varing degrees of English and said it would be helpful if I spoke with them as they wanted to improve thier Englsh. I bought them each a beer and set off on an hour and half conversation which covered the cost of my cigar, modern Cambodian politics, our present mission in Cambdia and before long we were laughing and joking as if we were life long friends and as we spoke I started to wonder exactly when these young men would make their sincere plea for me to help them out financially.Well that plea never did materialize all they wanted was little conversation, a few moments of companionship, and a feeling that they are not any different from me.

After all was said and done we hugged each other and they wished me a safe trip and hoped that somewhere all the way our paths might cross again and I must say that I hope so as well.

4 comments:

  1. Sneaking away are we? Think I'm not looking? Glad you had such a great real life experience even if you were being subversive. This is the exact point I keep trying to make about learning more and more of the ways in which we all are so alike. You really proved it with your beer, cigar and conversation. Nice to know you are ahead of the game. Michael, you surprise me more each day with your interest and enthusiasm for what we are doing and being the completely kind soul that you are. It's such a pleasure to meet you on this trip.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS Let's not tell anyone our little secret about you sneaking out on the town!
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too late! Michael, carry on being "subversive" - just don't get Dani into trouble with Judy. And can you both please make sure that Adam doesn't eat any more pizza with suspicious toppings. Apparently, he was giggling most of last night (after eating) - more so than is usual. My wholewheat pizza from Pizza Nova on Washington doesn't usually have that effect on me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Micheal:"I started to wonder exactly when these young men would make their sincere plea for me to help them out financially" - The world does not revolve around money. We in the western hemisphere are so looped into $$$ and tent to forgot that all the others want is to share their own stories too.. !!

    ReplyDelete