Saturday, February 19, 2005

I See an old Friend

Posted by James

It has been noticed and noted by my new friends on this trip that I love babies. I miss my own so much when I travel that I see my boys in each child. One affectionate, smiley one is my oldest, the mischievous one that steals your heart is my youngest.... it is not long before each one carries a recognizable trait of one of them. Then, across the universe, I send love to my kids back home through the eyes of the one in front of me.

Yesterday, as we boarded speed boats to travel down the Mekong to our hotel, I spotted a mother with her child waving goodbye to all of us...
We made eye contact from afar and I recognized the mother and child as the same ones that have shared space with me on my picture on the "about us" page of this web site!
I ran back up the stairs with everyone waiting in the boats... I wanted to see this little guy and get another picture... he must be about four or five years old by now! I got into the house and dropped my bag and the family brought the boy to me with big smiles, they remembered me too... not only did they remember me, but Kristen must have given them a copy of the photo as they showed me a copy they had kept for three years in their living room!
None of us had a camera... all were packed away and I had to run back down to the boats without a new photo, sadly. I hope to see them again next time.
The little boy, who's name is Prok is very healthy, very cute, and was still as sweet to me as he was in this picture years ago.
Ryder, Colvin... I love you guys. I think of you in every child I see. I'll be home soon.

4 comments:

  1. James, I'm sure your boys love and adore you and miss you too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you look pretty happy.......you're doing wonderful things for so many! I am in D.C. today with your brother and family. We just came back from lunch. We're having a ball.
    Love,

    ReplyDelete
  3. A hush has come over Dorset in your absence!! WE ALL MISS YOU! Willie and Colin took up residence in your house this weekend and played the Hathway boys in a loud game of tackle football in the basement of Church this morning. :) You do wonderful work Jamie and we love seeing the world thru your eyes. Keep the updates coming!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jamie.......
    I love the interactiveness of the blog! And--so much fun to live this experience vicariously through this site. Keep up the awesome work.
    Peace from Vermont--where we are expecting 4-8 inches of white powder.
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete