Tuesday, February 15, 2005

They want everything I have

Jessica K.

How do I explain my day? Is this place really in the same world I live on? Are Americans really angels? It can't be that most of the world, lives like this.
We met Arn again today. Whenever I see him I often try to think about what he went though. He was a child soldier, and even now he gives all his money away for the country he loves.
We went on a tuk-tuk ride today. The transportation is far from anything we're used to. The only cars we see are usually the governments; and not any citizens. At the market we were attacked by beggers. I was forced to say no toand starving babies and adults who said they were blind.

If I had said yes, I knew I would have been bombarded. The food at the market was crazy. Whoever thought of serving meat at 85 degrees? I saw fish get cut up alive, and fruit that looked like it was from a different planet. Flies were everywhere.
On the way to the master's music classes, I was expecting to see Cambodian's off the street on a nice stage. This fantasy seemed to go away after being told about the rising HIV/AIDS issue due to prostitutes. The street where we were about to go to supposedly at night as people going down the streeet looking for a beautiful early teenage Cambodian girl to have for $2. Who are these "people" that are up to no good? These people inculde Westerners, that's right.
We were also told we were entering a "slum area." That was exactly what it was. Trash was everywhere. Kids were running around without pants. We were led to four different classes (which taught singing, dancing, and playing unkown instruments. We were greeted from kids of all ages; it seems almost as it's a sin if a child does not bow their head.
I looked around the room, looked at all these children who have gone through so much. Some were orphans. Out of their mouths came power. These kids seemed complete with music. There was a light on the ceiling held on by a bew wires. Yet, these kids were with huge smiles, the nicest smile I havfe ever seen.
The littliest girl who seemed as if she was four, was the cutest thing ever. I had to hold myself back from carrying her home.
I smiled at her innocence, and sure enough a smile from her gleamed right back. After their magnificent dance, we went to take a picture with them. I sat next to the little girl, and she put her hand on my leg. It turns out she was nine. I started crying, was she on her way to being prostitute? Was she an orphan? I thought about how she would kill for my life.
Another boy peaked through the door. I imagined he was trying to get a peak at Ben's height, Adam's pale skin, and my blonde hair. He quickly bowed his head, more tears began to form. Many of the kids stare at us, they think of us as beautiful and unknown; I can't complain because we think the same of them.
The kids dreams were to have everything I already had. One group of girls seemed fascinated by my braces. I realized none of them had glasses, something that they probably needed.
The tears stopped, but the wealth of beauty in their art never did.
As I walked through the streets which were contrasted with a huge government building in the back. I felt like it was all fake. That they were acting out something that happened from th epast. Their English was adoralbe answering in full sentences, "My name is..." Dozens of other children said hello. Oh, how I wish I could speak Khmer.
On a lighter note, the place we went to dinner at bugs all over the rice. I decided not to have that extra source of protein, and stayed with my power bars. Well I'm in a rush and must go for another exciting day in Phnom Penh.

7 comments:

  1. Jessica,
    You students are the best to be with. I can't believe your kindness and moral fabric for taking this all in so well. You understand so well how you represent all of us who care here and at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica,
    It's so great to finally hear how the trip has been going. I read some of the other logs and still can hardely believe that you are experiencing something so amazingly beautiful and so drastically different at the same time. I've read about the alarming number of prostitutes in Cambodia before, but I never really thought about these girls, who are probably our age. It's hard to understand how things can be so different there from Tenafly.
    I hope you're doing well and are enjoying your Powerbars. Did you end up getting fruit leathers too? You'll probably get another comment from Mr. Whitehead's class tomorrow, so I'll leave some stuff for them to say.
    Miss you!
    Gaby

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jess!
    So great to read your reflections on your experiences so far. In the short time you've been there, you seem to have taken in so much, and perhaps most importantly have learned how fortunate we Americans are. The prostitution problem sounds horrible. Hard to imagine. I'd always heard stories about Bangkok being bad in that regard; I guess Phnom Penh is just as bad.
    But your descriptions of the Cambodian children attest to the fact that you're taking in the beauty with equal measure.
    Keep posting. And send me emails, if you can. Of course, I'll want a full report to the class when you return!
    Class and Omega wasn't the same today without you!
    Love,
    Mr. Whitehead

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jess!
    Hey, how are you doing? How is the power bar diet working for you??
    Cambodia sounds like an amazing place. Its amazing to hear that even with all that the children have been through and go through every day, they are still able to smile and be so warm and friendly toward all of you.
    I hope you are having a good time, but i cant wait till you get back. English class is getting boring without you :0). Take care!
    Love,
    Nyenye

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi kiddo,
    It's great hearing about your experiences. It sounds like you are taking it in with your usual grace and sensitivity. Take care of Grampa. xxsram

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice post. It's a bit different from the home planet, eh?
    Vastly,
    Uncle Doug

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jessica,
    I am Dr. Greenwald's sister and have been following the blog. You students are so amazing and although I do not know you, from what you write, I feel your compassion, your strength, your sensitivity, and your searching very keenly to make sense of what you are encountering. You have truly let this experience open your hearts and change your world.

    ReplyDelete