Friday, February 25, 2005

I hate endings...but I like beginnings

Jessica K.

We're approaching the end. Our bus leaves in 13 min. My grandpa and I took a quick walk around the hotel today. The motos don't stop, the tuk-tuks don't stop, sometimes the cars will stop. We crossed the road and I began to smile, this country is so crazy sometimes it's great.

Lastnight was amazing. We were given a great dinner...more like a party. There were the people from organizations we had met along our adventure. The musicans were there! They did performances that combined acting, dancing, and singing. One of the masters played great guitar. It amazes me that even though he is blind he is able to produce such skill. Two boys began the performance by doing a wonderful dance, with great accuracy. Tears came into my eyes, but why? It was so beautiful, was I crying from happiness, or once again did I realize how fortunate I was.

The little girl who made me cry at the beginning of the trip was also there. She is amazing. I want to give so much money to these children and their families, I want them to all go to school. Tears also began to form in my eyes when Arn hugged me and said I was a good kid. I told him that Big Bird is going to come to Cambodia. We need Sesame Street here, all they need is the money to get it on television.
Before the dinner we had a meeting at the pagota, the first place we went to. The five other teens and I talked about our experience. I was unable to talk about my best experience. I still don't understand what has happened in the last two weeks. This trip has certainally made me unable to comprehend the world.
I want to go back with knowledge. That's what I've gotten from here. I want to show everyone that a whole country is unstable, partly due to our own country. I want them to know about the beggers, the children, the evil and the good.
I'll still have school when I get home, I'll still have my electronics, I'll still have my house, my family, my friends. That's not going to change, but my view on everything there will.
Lastly, I want to thank everyone who made this possible. Thanks to the Gallaghers for taking good care of me. Thank you Dr. Greenwald for taking care of me on the plane, and talking so much with me, and being crazy. Thanks James and Terri for producing CPI, and organizing everything. Thank you to the 5 other students. I'm glad we went through this together. Thank you for whoever read all of this and commented. This trip wouldn't have been possible without raising money, thank you Mom for helping so much, I love you so much. Thanks Dad for buying power bars and giving money, I loveyou. Thanks everyone who gave money. It was worth it.
Thanks, and goodbye...and yes, this is a new beginning.

2 comments:

  1. Jessica, I have really enjoyed hearing about your experiences. Thank you for sharing them. Arn is right about you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an adventure! Thank you for letting me share a bit. Your VHS Prof. RB

    ReplyDelete