Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Duane Nelson on the Thai Burma Border

webmaster's note: Duane Nelson and Jody Riggs are volunteering at the Mae Tao clinic in Mae Sot on the Thai-Burma border.

From Duane:

Each day here in Mae Sot I become more educated about the political/military situation inside Burma. It is a tragedy that has gone on far too long without sufficient resolve. As just one regular man, the problem seems too big and almost unapproachable to me. The war, if you want to call it that, is deep-rooted, its got history, and it involves entire people groups and nations. How can I change anything?


For me, I must hold a different perspective. I think about the individuals. I�ll never be able to fix Burma�s injustice on my own. However, maybe today I can help just one persons pain be a little less� bring a smile to a fatherless child�s lovely face, hold hands with a war injured blind man, sit still for a while beside a cripple, or make a new leg for one landmine survivor.

To anyone that works with CPI or partners in similar work � never let your work become impersonal. Make every interaction personal, and remember the individuals. One person at a time.

IMGP1386.jpg

IMGP1383.jpg







No comments:

Post a Comment