Friday, June 22, 2007

Rice Mill Project Fires Up in Rural Cambodia!

For the past few years Clear Path has been raising funds and support to build a rice mill / vocational skills training center in Battambang, Cambodia. It has required a TON of work from many people to make this all come together, and this week we took a major step in making this dream a reality.

Its not often that I actually get giddy by someone firing up a big 'ol diesel powered generator, but that's the emotion I settled upon as the most appropriate description, when they cranked up the rice mill the first time for me. Its not often, come to think of it, that I would even recognize a diesel powered generator or any of the multitude of tools and metal appliances which go into making a rice mill. And, yet, throughout the last few months, I've become more familiar with all things rice related than I ever thought possible.

While I feel that I still have more questions than answers... I definitely can speak at great length and even somewhat intelligently on a host of rice related issues, including various ways to power a mill (alternative fuel is so trendy and appealing right now), by-products of raw rice and their individual uses, various qualities and types of rice, and actual outputs - like how much rice is produced from the raw format, and how quickly. I still consider my specific specialty to be the singular act of eating rice, which I'm quite good at, but I am learning.

The rice mill is a massive undertaking. It has been the focus of months of hard work by the folks at CVCD and CPI. It is part of a larger plan, which aspires to create a continuous source of revenue to fund ongoing programs targeting the landmine/UXO survivors in Battambang province, while simultaneously providing food security to many more. The rice mill will continue to make possible vocation training programs, micro credit availability, and other initiatives designed to increase the quality of life for these survivors.

IMG_3317.jpg


Every month, when I make trips to the site of the mill, I see bits of progress. At first, I was overwhelmed by the huge warehouse and stock of rice. But, as time has gone by, trip by trip, the warehouse has continued to fill itself with machinery. More and more pieces and parts, none of which I could name if I tried (in English or Khmer), but which give the distinct impression that they are a part of something bigger, have begun to fill the empty spaces. Last week, while wandering around on my own, investigating new and interesting additions - I heard the roar of the diesel engine, and realized everything was spinning, turning, moving, gyrating. The belts were doing what belts do, pulleys were pulling, parts that are supposed to shake were shaking, and the entire place hummed, like... well, like a working rice mill. I've been told there is still fine-tuning to do. Its not ready to actually throw rice in just yet. But, its close. And, I had no idea that after watching months of progress, debating at length the merits of different purchasing options, contracts, suppliers, budgets, etc.. how giddy the sound of that mill would make me. The true test will be when I can sample the rice. That's when my real expertise will kick in, and I will know for sure, if the rice mill is working.

IMG_3354.jpg



1 comment:

  1. Super Kernel Basmati Rice is king of all rice Varieties in the world, grown in the fertile land of Punjab and irrigation water comes from foothills of the Himalayas and Kashmir through Indus River. In so notifying the WTO of its intention to modify the import duty mechanism, the Commission indicated its intention to negotiate with the main supplier countries of rice some form of ‘proportionate compensation' for abandoning the ‘import duty setting mechanism' inherent in Head Note 7 of the WTO Schedule.basmati rice in pakistan

    ReplyDelete