Saturday, February 24, 2007

Thai Burma Border: Recreational Therapy At Care Villa

Landmine Survivors at play at the Care Villa on the Thai - Burma BorderLandmine Survivors at play at the Care Villa on the Thai - Burma BorderLandmine Survivors at play at the Care Villa on the Thai - Burma BorderLandmine Survivors at play at the Care Villa on the Thai - Burma Border




Landmine Survivors at play at the Care Villa on the Thai - Burma BorderI had heard them singing before. I had heard them talking before. I had heard them praying before. But I had never heard them laughing. The guys of the Care Villa; a special group of mostly young men, severely handicapped due to landmine accidents.

Last week, Astrid and I went back to the Care Villa in Mae La refugee camp to start a program of physical activities. The atmosphere was different than usual; the bamboo hut was filled with excitement. The guys were ready for some fun and so were we.

Within no time the balls with bells were being exchanged between arms and legs, forces were measured by pulling ropes and I could only smile from satisfaction when I saw how much fun they had. How much fun we had. Although I had met them many times before, and had intensive interviews with every one of them, it was as if I got to know completely different people. I discovered a whole new side of the Care Villa that I had never seen before. The joy and excitement, it is a true motivator to continue this program. Astrid�s enthusiasm, her exuberance is just what we needed here.


Lobke Dijkstra,

Physical therapist and country rep in Thailand

Landmine Survivors at play at the Care Villa on the Thai - Burma Border


No comments:

Post a Comment