Monday, February 19, 2007

Thank you, Senator Leahy

A letter my mother sent to Patrick Leahy in support of a new bill he is co-sponsoring restricting the use of cluster munitions. We blogged about the accident she mentions here.



Dear Senator Leahy,

Yet again I am so proud to be a constituent of yours. As a volunteer for Clear Path International, I have witnessed first hand the devastating effects of cluster bombs. Two years ago, just after the Tet holidays, I accompanied our staff on a visit to a village in Viet Nam where three young boys had been injured on their way home from school.
Although I could not understand the language being used by our staff as they handed the young mother funds with which to bury her son, I understood the sigh that emanated from her as we sat side by side in her home. My son James immediately crossed the room and stroked her hand to comfort her. As we were about to leave, I found this brave, helpless young mom in my arms and we wept together at the senselessness of weaponry that continues to hurt and main long after wars have ended.

Thank you for introducing legislation to restrict federal funds for the use, sale or transfer of cluster bombs unless specified that they will be used only against clearly defined military targets and not where civilians are known to be present (or in areas normally inhabited by civilians).


Sincerely,


Terri Hathaway




No comments:

Post a Comment