Saturday, July 23, 2005

News from CPI U.S. Delegation - Hue, Vietnam

After we interviewed Ms. Ha about her journey of five painful surgeries for white phosphorous uxo injuries we all clapped for her. Many of the people who are responsible for her care, Dr. Than, Mr. Cuc, Miss Huyen, Duc, and Toan were there supporting her; others such as Hugh, Imbert, Martha, and James were mentioned and there in spirit. We were all gathered around her and she filled with emotion and started tearing up. Then small yellow leaves started raining from the tree overhead, showering her. It was a beautiful picture. A few others started crying, and we all hugged and celebrated Ha's tenacity and courage. I feel honored to know her and wish I had half of her spirit and strength.

Chi gave me all of the photos from five years of CPI's work with uxo victims. Last night I was looking through them and was stunned by the numbers of tragedies. It really hits you hard when you see beneficiary photos one after another, some injured some killed. I was also struck by what an honor it is to be given all these private photos of people in their darkest moments of grief. I will work hard to honor these families and bear witness to their horrific experiences.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Joan. It is good to hear Ha is doing well. Please give my best to the crew!
    -James

    ReplyDelete