Sunday, June 18, 2006

Bill Scullin Comes Face to Face with History

Hi, my name is Bill Scullin and I'm a sophomore in the Corps of Cadets.



When I woke up today I knew that I would come face to face with
history. In high school I studied the Vietnam war in depth and again in
Professor Brucken's class. The thoughts and images one produces in
their own mind from text book accounts and stories came to be real when
this morning when we met and spoke with a former Vietcong General. It
was truly an amazing experience. The General spoke with a strong willed
and authoritative voice that made me feel as if I was in the presence
of greatness. As I sat there I could not help think that just 35 years
ago this man was commanding Vietcong soldiers during the Tet Offensive
killing U.S. and South Vietnamese soldiers. I wondered if U.S. veterans
from the war would show the same compassion and forgiveness the General
was showing us today. Whatever that answer may be, this trip has taught
me one thing. No matter what your race or background may be we are all
human. The same things make us laugh and the same things make us cry.



----------------------------------------



Cadet Scullin


Norwich University, Military College of Vermont

No comments:

Post a Comment