Saturday, June 4, 2005

Addendum to the Poem

(Written by Jill Piacitelli)
The accompanying poem below was written at the urging of Galen Dickstein, as we wondered what to do to capture the sweet anguish of being lost on our way to the work project of the June 2 morning. The rest of the group made it to the Thuy Xan Children's House to "weed the center's garden". From what I understand, this was a vigorous and dirty digging project done in blazing heat. But the school was absolutely beautiful, and is again, a place that we would like to expand our relationship with next year, after spilling the drops of sweat on their soil.

Meanwhile, Galen and I were riding our bikes for 2 hours trying to find the group. When we thought we did, but then didn't at all, we sat in the silence and Galen began to sketch the desolate, but beautiful view in front of us. She encouraged me to write in my journal, or an accompanying poem. I sat in sweat for the first 10 minutes, working out our chances of survival if all we had were the contents of my bike basket: 2 bags of chewy candy for the kids, 1 liter of water, and 2 machetes. In my carry bag, I also had a melted piece of gum, the emergency contact list for the group, my journal, and 20 dollars. I counted our chances of survival as high, so I was finally able to write.
We all reunited at the hotel for lunch, dirty, tired, and sweaty from our various labors. Sickness is tapering off in the group, so we are starting to be represented in our entirety at meals and work. Nhi was so excited by this that she led a round of 3 toasts.
The early afternoon was spent as usual... in preparation for teaching our kids and recovering from the morning exposure. FYI, each day begins at about 7 for breakfast, showing up at our project by 8. We work until 11, get back to the hotel for lunch at 11 or 11:30. 12:30 - 3 is spent doing prep and recovery, and then from 3-5:30 we are with the street kids. When we come home from that, we usually gather as a group for a reflection or a group builder. Then dinner at 7, and home again by 8:30. Depending on energy levels, members of the group then go to internet cafes, browse the shopping, chill out downstairs or outside, or go to their rooms to watch a parade of horrible 80's HBO movies. Usually the last option is the most dangerous: plot lines with evil robots or Kurt Russell or dragons can create rather fitful night's rest.
Anyway, four members of our group went earlier to a new project - teaching English culture at the Children's House. This group of students (about 20) have been exposed to English longer and more extensively, so they are less about the alphabet and more about music, folk stories, and other cultural influences of the U.S. Smaller off shoots of our group will be alternating work with these students for all of next week... amazingly enough this will be our last week in Hue. Next Sunday, we'll head to Quong Tri to work more directly with Clear Path at their offices. When we get back from that stint, we'll head back up to Hanoi in preparation to come home. Meanwhile, we will continue to work with the street kids on their ABCs and numbers. Dave Whitaker was the genius of today... the got his kids playing a version of twister with numbers and the ABCs. Got some fine pictures of that flash of brilliance. The rest of us continue to work on in our various groups... three of us and two Vietnamese student interpreters work with groups of kids varying from 15-35. We've divided up the kids according to their grade, which doesn't necessarily match their age. They continue to just thrill us and break our hearts with their earnest, eager, and loving nature. We've made name tags for them, and one young boy asked Nhi if he could take his off to bathe... "but then I'll put it right back on, I promise. And I will sleep with it here, over my heart, and wear it back to school."
Angie and I led a quick discussion before dinner, about our work as a group and as individuals, and then we were off to our night plans (see above). Each day presents a challenge for growth as a group and as a person... even to the point of being overwhelmed or exhausted. Thanks to all who write comments on the blog. We are encouraged by it all, and grateful to have a chance to share and process this experience with our circles of support.

4 comments:

  1. JILL!!!
    As I read your account, the sweat pours off me! I feel as though I was on that bike journey with you and Galen. Thankfully you made the most of it--and oh, what a story it will be for many many years.
    I love reading your entries...and Nhi's entry. She did not have photos of the Viet Nam Children's Day event, yet I clicked on the CPI "images of children"----I expected images of the beautiful angels simply being children...and I opend the page to an image of a sweet young boy in hospital with bandages wrapping his stump. And--I sit here in my safe home state of Vermont, and think how fortunate we are--and how utterly overwhelming are the realities of war. To fall in love with the Vietnamese people is a gift.
    Namaste,
    Ellen
    "We are both devoting massive sums of money to weapons that could be better devoted to combat ignorance, poverty and disease,...[peace] will require increased understanding between the Soviets and ourselves. And increased understanding will require increased contact and communication."
    JFK

    ReplyDelete
  2. GUYS! You are amazing! It is so enlightening to see your beautiful photos and to read of your adventures. I can't wait to hear about the trip in its entirety, although how can you ever sum this up?! The children look like they just can't take their eyes off of you, and I'm sure it's mutual. What beautiful strong faces. You all are so strong as well, I am happy for you that you are making such a huge impact in so many lives. Best wishes for continued learning, fun, health...and maybe a cold front! See you soon. (Celine, we're surviving at work without you but can't wait to give you hugs!)
    Love, Sara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jillson! this is my first time logging on to read the blogs since you've all ventured back to Vietnam.... how cool is it that this time around there's pictures and stories to read AS IT ALL HAPPENS! thats huge... wow!
    It was amazing to flip through some of the new pictures here and see some of the same sweet faces of children we worked with last year in exchange with new sweet faces from Johnson! I love it that this exchange wasn't just a one time... k-see-you-later-nice-to-meet-you, sort of exchange. but rather, with repeated visits some of these children will surely remember you for the rest of their lives! think of the potential implications that that not only has on those specific children, but also surrounding the energy and interrelations of peace and goodwill! (ill think more clearly on just what i meant by that one and get back to you... wheeww) Can't wait to find out what happens tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jill! It's so great to read about all your wonderful adventures!! It sounds like you guys are having a really good time. It must feel good to be done with the planning and preperation and finally be there and having all those little moments that make Break Away so beautiful! I can't wait to hear about all of them! The photos you guys are posting are amazing- those kids are so beautiful- it makes me wish I could be there! Enjoy the rest of your time there! And thank you SOO much for the book loans- I have LOTS to talk to you about when you get home!!
    Tell Celine that I'm still waiting for my postcard!! :-) But give her a big hug for me anyway and have her give you one from me too!
    Love,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete