Thursday, May 26, 2005

Mud Bath!

A group of students from Johnson State College (JSC) is spending the next few weeks with Clear Path International in Vietnam. This is possible due to a partnership between Clear Path, the Break Away Program and JSC. The students and staff will be posting tales and photos from their journey to this blog. You can read all of their posts by clicking here. Photos can be enlarged by clicking them


(Written by Trista Reigert)
Today was an intense day...one of our most intense so far. It began as we sped on our bicycles in the early morning to the irrigation trench where we would be vigorously hulling sewage and vegetation out of its polluted murky waters. We were prepared for labor, anticipating sweat and grime, but few expected the infested waters with such visible wildlife as leeches, spiders, frogs, crabs, snails, snakes, etc. And we, being the diligent determined hardworking Americans that we are, went in and all out, knee deep in mud, waste deep in water, as if to prove a point to our horrified Vietnamese compadres who looked on while politely picking at the sludge, dressed in their dressy attire.



It was an interesting site for sure, as neighbors around the trench stopped and stared, smiling and laughing at our mud soaked clothing and the eccentric nature of our pursuit. We could only grin and bare.
As I take a break by the side of the road two older Vietnamese woman walk past me carrying fresh produce from the market. They smile and stop to talk to me speaking in Vietnamese. I understand nothing of what they are saying and turn to one of the economic students to ask for a translation. �She say you are very beautiful.� In my shock and surprise I laugh out load thinking how funny the comment is as I stand there dripping with sweat and plastered with manure-scented mud. To explain my feelings, I theatrically shake my head while using hand motions toward my now disgusting clothes. They laugh with me before continuing on.
During a short break from labor I hack a soccer ball with a cluster of young boys who have gathered to watch the spectacle. The game is fun and they mimic my laugh and shriek when I miss the ball.
Afterwards, showers are in order followed by an elaborate spread of squid, avocado shakes, shrimp soup, rice, and melon salad. We eat our fill, before taking a break for a couple hours to roam the streets or nap before making our way back to the school where we teach English to the children. I�ve made nametags which I hand out for my kids. Brilliant children! They have already learned the alphabet (as well as memorized the song), numbers 0-10 and as well as spelling their name, and today was only our fourth day teaching!
It begins to pour rain shortly after we arrive, so rather than do our usually class routine outside with chalk and flashcards, we seek refuge inside one of the small crowded classrooms. After we finish, we come back to the hotel for an hour group meeting to a reflection, discussing the current events and touch base with one another before dinner. Our time here has been amazing, more so than can be translated in words.

1 comment:

  1. Trista!!
    Xin cho! What images! The people you encounter must think Americans are crazy. Why would anyone want to go into leech infested water--let alone get muddy. It sounds like you are having the time of a life. I am so thankful you all are writing so eloquently and sharing via the blog.
    Tell Jill we want photos!
    Send my deep respect to the entire group.
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete